Just Sparkle

Just Sparkle

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Apps for Single Parents (or ANY parent)

Being a single parent is challenging.  Where many in-tact homes have two parents to share the responsibilities of parenting, in a single parent home, it's down to one.  One person to cook.  One person to clean.  One person to make sure their child is not using the dog for target practice.  That's a lot of responsibility for one person.

I hit a point about 6 months ago where I broke.  Even after two and a half years of hacking it on my own, I still couldn't get the hang of single parenting.   This, I would imagine, is because with each day, each week, each, month, each year, children grow.  Children learn.  Children discover new things to play with, talk about, question.  When the questions about male and female body parts came up, I remember thinking "Well, there's no app for that."  While that may be true, I did begin to wonder what other apps are out there that might be helpful to a single mom.  So, six months later, here are my top 5 favorites.  

  1. Cozi Family Organizer - To-do lists, calender, shopping list, journal.  This app has every "stay organized" essential in one nice, neat package.  
  2. Grocery IQ  - This app allows you to find your stores, make a list, organize by isle.  I prefer Cozi for my shopping list, but this is a great app for finding updated coupons.  #Mom-on-a-budget.
  3. Pinterest - This one takes some self-control.  It's tempting to sit for hours and find awesome stuff, but if you an have some restraint, you will find a wealth of great recipes, kids crafts, activities, and other essentials.
  4. Yelp - When you are out and about and need to find that restaurant, grocery store, toy store, liquor store...Yelp makes it very easy.  GPS updates and maps.
  5. Pre-School Monkey Lunchbox - For the road trips and bored child.  I would recommend several apps for the kids to keep them entertained on the road.  Other apps my 5 year-old likes:
    • Temple Run
    • Talking Tom (the original and Junior)
    • Angry Birds
    • Hill Climb Racing
    • Fruit Ninja
    • Flow free (good brain game)
I am always on the prowl for other apps to make points of my life a little easier.  I'm sure there will be reviews down the road.  As always, share your favorites!  

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! Messages and potential blog contributions can also be sent to cassidyberd@gmail.com. Thanks for reading!